Khyati here, and today I am super excited to share with you all another project that is close to my heart since this was my first attempt at ART JOURNAL. I have always been a lover and follower of mixed media art and that was the reason I started crafting, however Art Journalling is something I have always been too intimidated by, so I am hoping to learn new and new things as when time and opportunity permits me.
So for this months challenge which is ALTERED BOOK COVER OR ART JOURNAL PAGE I decided to get out of my comfort zone again and attempt my first Art Journal page 🙂
You can find all details of the current monthly challenge here
Some detailed pictures –
So the process I followed was –
1) First I started with deciding on what my pictures would be and what color theme did I want to go for. Since this is a beach picture from our recent trip to Malaysia I had decided to use cool colors like Blues, Teals and Greens.
2) Post that I added CrafTangles white Gesso to the whole surface of the page, since this is just a regular diary and the pages cannot take so many mediums and the pages will be porous. Also since the pages are thin, I have glued two pages together to create one layout. Also, since this was my first attempt at Art Journaling and I did not know If i will ever make another one I did not buy any new diary and used just what I had at home to keep the investment to minimal.
3) I decided where my photo would go and where other accents would be added, notice I have not added a lot of bulk or mixed media items because If I would have my journal would not close, hence no foam tapes or dimensions.
4) Post that I added some colors to the background, for this I have used CrafTangles Art Sprays and CrafTangles color mists, this was a very light wash as I planned to add layers on it.
5) Once it was dry, I added some stenciled designs using Moroccan Pattern stencil by CrafTangles to the areas behind where my photo would go so that some area can sneak through and also some on the left side of the page to add balance.
6) Once the layer was dry I went back with CrafTangles liquid watercolors and added some point of interest by coloring on top of it using co-ordinating colors, this will give you that light dark effect.
7) I used some scrap papers and old laces and tinted them with sprays and liquid watercolors of same colors and used them as base to stick my photos and sentiments on top of it.
8) For sentiments i have used a ton of CrafTangles stamps and Fiskar stamps where I could find relevant sentiment to the scene I was creating, these were all stamped on CrafTangles smooth white cardstock using Versamark onyx black ink as that ink is waterproof.
9) Once everything was ready, I matted by printed photo on CrafTangles midnight black cardstock and added it to the composition along with sentiments depending on how I liked placements. Since you will be very new to this and if are confused on where a placement can be just search some art journal page on pintered and see how they do the placement that will help you understand where you can add your placements 🙂
10) I also have used CrafTangles Old newspaper, script stamp and Fiskar stamp to add some interest to the page, again I have stamped them using Versafine Onyx black ink.
11) Once everything was stuck together I again added some splashes of color near the elements to tie them with the page to make everything cohesive and one single piece instead of items just stuck together.
So that was the process as always, the list of the products are as below –
Hope you enjoyed today’s project and apologies I could not have a video for you all as I was not sure on how successful the art journal page will be 🙂
Until Later, Happy Crafting.