Khyati here and today I am sharing some simple ways to kickstart your creativity. I recently was too tired with other things in life and did not have any creative mojo left to make something.
So below are some of my personal tips on how you can get your creativity kick started.
- Take a backseat/ break: If you have been creating something continuously it is always ideal to take a break now and then and do something that makes you happy. For me my second love apart from creating Art and Craft projects is reading, dancing and sleeping. And I do that now and then just to let my body and mind recharge. There are days when I cannot craft even for 10 mins and I feel its completely ok because that’s an indication by your body and mind to recharge. All of us live fairly busy lives and are always doing multiple things together so sometimes it ok to take a breather and take a break, no expectations.
- Get Inspired: I normally create something every few days. It may be week or month or even every day for you so please consider your timelines accordingly.
Its been a few days and if I am still not able to create then in that case I know that something needs to be done to get my creativity kick-started. The easiest way for me is to check out some inspirations online, we live in this day and age where everything is so easily available on our fingertips that sometimes we underestimate its power. There are so many avenues where you can check work of so many talented people out there like Pinterest, Youtube, Instagram and Facebook. Personally, I tend to stay away from Facebook and prefer the other 3 options, but you do what makes you happy.
I have created a lot of Pinterest boards to kick start my creativity you can follow me on Pinterest and check those boards out, maybe they will help you. There are so many videos on youtube you can watch the ones you like and start with something that inspires you.
However, guys, there is a difference between getting inspired and blatantly copying someone, so please do take care of the same. Also if you come across a good idea that inspires you to tag that person or their link and share it with your followers, it’s always nice to be appreciated.
- Back to Basics: Whenever I feel like I have a creative block I normally start with the thing that got me into crafting (in my case it was mixed media or watercolour) it may be something else for you. The idea is to get started with the thing you love the most so you don’t have to think about a lot on what to make or how to make. Do what comes naturally to you.
- Learn something New: Now I as a creative person get very bored with doing the same thing again and again. I rather like to try out new things and see what joy they bring to me and then decide if I want to pursue them further in deep. It is normally a process which a lot of miss but a few hits, and I feel that is how we as humans evolve and learn new stuff. Once you learn is when you will understand whether you are good or bad at it. But you will have to try it out
So when my creative juices are low I try and pick up things and that helps me take away my mind from the routine and take me back to the time when there was a simple joy in just creating. If you are trying something new there are never any expectations to be good at it or to have a perfect project which I feel will help you further with your creativity.
I personally love searching youtube now and then for a completely new art form and just see videos and try something new which may not even be my area of expertise or an area that I wanted to explore, but I feel it a good exercise to train the brain to try new things now and again.
Apart from the free resources that are available like youtube, Google search, social media platforms, blogs etc, I personally like Skillshare as well (Not Sponsored :)). It all depends on my mood honestly If I am in the mood to do some research on a particular topic and learn from basics with trials and errors then the free resources are your best friend. However, If you are a person who doesn’t like to search a lot and prefer one place where you can find most of the knowledge in a concentrated manner then online learning platforms like Skillshare should be your go-to.
- No Expectations: I feel one of the biggest reason why we sometimes have a block is that sometimes we put so much pressure on ourselves to give out perfect kick-ass projects every time that we don’t leave a room for experimentation and taking risks. The things we are good at we always feel that we will be able to make good projects only, but how do you calculate whether the project is good or bad. Will a project where you learn some new technique but It did not come out as well as you wanted it to be, be considered a bad project? Well, I hope not or else how will you as an artist grow?
So what I have for you guys today are some small watercolour cards that I made to jump-start my creativity, I really love watercolour as a medium as its very forgiving and allows me to experiment with it, for you it may be something else, so grab your favourite supplies and start 🙂
Also, If you would notice all these note cards are not the traditional sized A2 cards that I normally create, rather these are 4by4 note cards as I wanted to try something different. Also, the stamps I have used here are some of the stamps by other companies and not CrafTangles as I said you know to try something new and experiment and that is what I was going for. I know most of the CrafTangles stamp and designed them with a mindset however for this particular project I just wanted to sit back and create and use something which was new to me and see what I come up with. So without further wait below are the cards.
Supplies used to make these notecards are as below –
CrafTangles Dual Textured White 300 gsm Cardstock
Versafine Onyx Black Ink Pad
CrafTangles Liquid Watercolors
Casual Fridays Some Bunny Stamp
Tim Holtz Freshy Brewed Stamp Set
So that was the post today guys, sorry no video but I hope you enjoyed the lengthy read.
For more such inspirations you can follow us on our social media handles link below –
I will join you in my next post till then take care and Happy Crafting.